There is an international mountain running event designed for athletes of all abilities ages 35 to 79. So, get in on the action and start planning your trip to Dubnica nad Váhom, Slovakia, site of the 2017 WMA/WMRA World Masters Mountain Running Championships.
Having hosted the championships in 2000, the organizers are ready for the world to return to Slovakia for the 17th annual installment of this popular event. The 2017 races will be held on Saturday, September 2, on a 9-kilometer mostly uphill mountain course. The race will start in Pruske village center at an altitude of 219 meters and reach the finish line at Vrsatec, elevation 849 meters. The majority of the route will be held on a mountain path with less than one kilometer on pavement.
Mountain running has enjoyed a long tradition in Slovakia, and with a contingent of more than 60 athletes at this year’s championships in Susa, Italy, there was no question the excitement is already building for the 2017 event.
Below are a few reasons to consider participating in next year’s World Masters Mountain Running Championships.
- Great venue – Located in the north west of Slovakia, Dubnica nad Váhom is just 145 kilometers northeast of Bratislava and just 200 kilometers from Vienna, Austria. Situated on the Váh River, in the Ilava Basin, between the White Carpathians and Strážovské vrchy mountains, the scenery is outstanding.
- Affordable – Accommodations can be as low as $45 per night with breakfast included, and there are variety of options from small hotels to apartments and home rentals.
- Organization – having hosted the event in the past, a seasoned LOC is ready to stage the event in 2017.
- Opening celebration – a welcome ceremony complete with a parade of nations is held on the evening before the competition. A pasta party follows the parade for athletes to size up their competition and make new friends.
- Know your competition – Race and compete with your age group. There are separate starts for the various five-year age groups. Run and score within your age group. Each athlete will have a back bib indicating his or her nationality and age group.
- Course – variety of terrain featuring some technical sections as well as gentle climbing. Experience European mountain running at its finest.
- Farewell party and ceremony– commemorative WMRA medals are distributed in a post-race celebration to the top three individuals and the top three teams. Teams are comprised of the top three finishers in the age group from a country. Every registrant receives a T-shirt and every finisher receives a medal.
- Post-event – travel throughout Slovakia, or visit neighboring countries. Have an adventure of a lifetime.