After two years of event cancellation, 2022 will mark the 15th edition of the World Mountain Running Association’s (WMRA) International U18 Mountain Running Cup. This invitation-only event provides a unique opportunity for youth mountain runners from around the world to test themselves against the world’s best. Much more rugged than the typical U.S. high school cross country race, the course will be an up and downhill circuit approximately 4.4 km in length with 230 meters of ascent and descent.
Venue: Saluzzo, Italy located in the Piedmont region
Website: Link: https://visit.terresmonviso.eu/international-youth-cup-race/
Date: Sunday, June 26, 2022
Trip Duration: Team travel from the United States to Italy will depart Wednesday, June 22, and arrive on Thursday, June 23. Course preview will take place on June 24 and 25. The races are on June 26. Team departure will be on Monday, June 27, for a total of 4 nights lodging. Team members are welcome to arrive earlier and stay longer, but will need to provide their own lodging and transportation to and from the venue/airport. Saluzzo is located 83 kilometers from Turin airport and 145 km from Milan-Malpensa (MXP) airport. The airport for arrival TBD either Turin (TRN), or Milan-Malpensa (MXP).
Team USA athlete eligibility requirements:
- For athletes who are at least 16 years old and not yet 18 in 2022. [See WMRA U18 regulation 206.2 Age Categories.]
- Athletes must be a 2022 USA Track & Field (USATF) member.
- To be considered for the team, athletes should have posted a 16:45 or better (boys) and 19:30 or better (girls) in a 5 km road or cross country event. Equivalent times – from an alternate race distance that translates to the aforementioned time criteria – may be considered for distances other than 5 km.
- Athletes should have experience training and racing on mountain running courses similar to the event.
- Athletes should be mature, motivated, with a positive attitude to proudly represent the United States and sponsors internationally, under the rules of USATF and the event governing bodies.
- Provide a letter of recommendation from a coach, parent, or mentor-runner along with athlete race results.
The U.S. U18 Mountain Running Team will be comprised of up to 4 youth girls and 4 youth boys along with staff members to be announced soon.
Running resumes should include road, trail, track, and cross country results, current training info and will be accepted through May 1, 2022. Submit your resume on this Google Form and send your recommendation letters to: Nancy Hobbs, email@example.com.
The team will be announced by May 10, 2021.
This is a partially funded USATF team and there is potentially a small stipend from the WMRA to cover travel expenses. Accommodations, meals, as well as transfers to/from the Turin or Milan (Malpensa) airport (TBD) are covered by the local organizing committee. Uniforms are provided by USATF. If an athlete makes the team but can’t make the trip due to injury or any other circumstance, the uniform must be returned to USATF.
Expected program for the 2022 International U18 Mountain Running Cup:
- Thursday, June 23 – Countries outside Europe including the USA arrive in Saluzzo
- Friday, June 24 – European teams arrive in Saluzzo
- Saturday, June 25 – Morning course inspection. Afternoon technical meeting for coaches, athlete parade and opening ceremony.
- Sunday, June 26
U18 Mountain Running Girls race – 11:00 AM
U18 Mountain Running Boys race – 11:30 AM
Medal Ceremony and closing ceremony – 5PM – 6:30PM
Farewell Party – 8PM – Midnight
- Monday, June 27 – All teams depart Saluzzo
Do you want to know what it’s like to represent the USA at the WMRA International U18 Mountain Running Cup? Check out the story from the 2019 team who raced in Susa, Italy – “USATF Youth Mountain Runners Race Through History in Susa Italy.”
You can find results from all previous editions of the International U18 Mountain Running Cup on the WMRA website.
The 2022 U18 team selection committee includes: Nancy Hobbs, Richard Bolt, Peter Maksimow, Paul Kirsch, Mark Weeks, Lin Gentling, Antia Ortiz and Jason Bryant.