Editor’s Note: Due to the limited number of competitions and inability for athletes to travel and readily compete, the qualifying window for the 2021 U.S. National 24 Hour Team to the 2021 IAU 24 Hour World Championship has been extended thru 5/2/2021 to allow five additional month for qualifying.
The International Association of Ultrarunners has announced that the 2021 IAU World 24 Hour Championship will be held in Timisoara, Romania on October 2-3, 2021.
The United States 24 Hour National Team will compete in the 2021 International Association of Ultrarunners (IAU) 24 Hour World Championship under the patronage of the WA on October 2-3, in Timisoara, Romania. The United States will be represented by the USATF 24 Hour Team of up to six men and six women ultra marathon runners. The Team will be selected by the Executive Committee USATF Mountain, Ultra, and Trail Council (MUT) based on the following criteria:
- Qualifying window: 10/26/2019 – 5/2/2021
- Team Selection: May 3rd and 4th, 2021
- Team Announced: Wednesday May 5th, 2021
Standards for the 2021 U.S. National 24 Hour Team
- Athletes who place in the top-3 (gold, silver, or bronze medal position) at the 2019 IAU World 24 Hr Championship will receive automatic selection to the 2021 Championship.
- Athletes who meet the following qualifying standards for distance within the specified qualifying window will be entered into the pool of qualified athletes: Male – 145 MILES (233.348km), Female – 130 MILES (209.209km)
- All remaining Team positions for both Men and Women (up to a total team membership of 6 Men and 6 Women) will be filled based on qualifying performances in 24-hour races or certified 24-hour splits in multiday fixed-time races, courses or tracks, in races which provide lap-recording to USATF and IAAF standards, in rank order.
- Minimum standards for consideration: Male – 145 MILES (233.348km), Female – 130 MILES (209.209km)
- Athletes interested in qualifying for consideration are urged to confirm that courses they may compete on are certified for distance (or provide survey certificate for track events) and sanctioned by USATF or appropriate NGB (check race website or contact Race Director).
Note to Athletes and Race Director’s
- Events suitable for qualifying must be USATF Certified for distance (or NGB) or provide survey certificate for track events.
- Events must be USATF Sanctioned (USATF Rules upheld) – not limited to, but including 144.3 (Assistance To Athletes) and 163.6 (a) (Leaving the Track, Field, or Course).
- Qualifying Marks must take place in competitions (Refer to USATF Rule Book 262.3 (a) where “Qualifying” may interchange with “Record”).
List of Current Qualifiers
(as of 12/14/2020)
- Camille Herron (AUTO), 167.846 Miles (270.116Km), 2019 IAU World 24 Hour Championship, Albi, France, 10/27/2019
- Pam Smith, 153.041 Miles (246.289Km), 2019 IAU World 24 Hour Championship, Albi, France, 10/27/2019
- Micah Morgan, 148.685 Miles (239.279Km), 2019 IAU World 24 Hour Championship, Albi, France, 10/27/2019
- Marisa Lizak, 148.08 Miles (238.305Km), 2019 Desert Solstice 24 Hour, Phoenix, AZ, 12/14/2019
- Courtney Dauwalter, 142.749 Miles (220.726Km), 2019 IAU World 24 Hour Championship, Albi, France, 10/27/2019
- Marisa Lizak (2), 142.64 Miles (229.55Km), Desert Solstice, Phoenix, AZ, 12/13/2020
- Whitney Richman, 139.69 Miles (224.80Km), Desert Solstice, Phoenix, AZ, 12/13/2020
- Olivier Leblond (AUTO), 171.183 Miles (275.485Km), 2019 IAU World 24 Hour Championship, Albi, France, 10/27/2019
- Jacob Jackson, 165.071 Miles (265.649Km), 2019 IAU World 24 Hour Championship, Albi, France, 10/27/2019
- Harvey Lewis, 160.702 Miles (258.619Km), 2019 IAU World 24 Hour Championship, Albi, France, 10/27/2019
- Jacob Moss, 159.16 Miles (256.14KM), The Stinger All Comers Track Race, Locust Grove, GA, 11/15/2020
- Nick Coury, 155.41 Miles (250.11Km), Desert Solstice, Phoenix, AZ, 12/13/2020
- Ryan Montgomery, 154.71 Miles (248.97Km), Desert Solstice, Phoenix, AZ, 12/13/2020
- Rolfe Schmidt, 145.8 Miles (234.645Km), 2019 Desert Solstice 24 Hour, Phoenix, AZ, 12/14/2019
Please address any additions/deletions/adjustments to Meghan Canfield (email@example.com).