EDITORS NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the date of this championship was changed from June to October.
This year marks the 15th edition of the World Mountain Running Association’s (WMRA) International U18 Mountain Running Cup. The 2020 race course is an up/downhill circuit approximately 5 km in length with 207 meters of ascent and descent.
Trip Duration: Team travel from the United States to Manchester, UK will depart Tuesday, October 13 and arrive on Wednesday October 14. Course preview will take place on October 15 and 16. The race is on October 17. Team departure will be on October 18 for a total of 4 nights lodging. Team members are welcome to arrive earlier and stay longer, but will need to provide their own lodging and transportation to and from the venue/airport. Ambleside is located 140 km North of Manchester airport (MAN).
For Team USA consideration, youth athletes:
- Must be a 2020 USA Track & Field (USATF) member.
- Must be at least 16 year old and not yet 18 in the year of competition.
- Must have posted a 16:45 or better (youth boys) and 19:30 or better (youth girls) in a 5 km road or cross country event. Equivalent times – from an alternate race distance that translates to the aforementioned time criteria – will be considered for distances other than 5 km.
- Must have experience running (in training and preferably racing) on courses similar to the event. (e.g. mountain running)
- Must be mature, motivated, with a positive attitude to proudly represent the United States and sponsors internationally, under the rules of USATF and the event governing bodies.
- A letter of recommendation from a coach, parent, or mentor-runner must accompany the athlete resume.
The team will be comprised of up to 6 athletes, (3 youth girls and 3 youth boys) with staff members Mark Weeks and Anita Ortiz.
Resumes should include road, trail, track, and cross country results and current training info and will be accepted through August 1, 2020. Send resume and recommendation letters to: Mark Weeks, firstname.lastname@example.org, and Anita Ortiz, email@example.com. The team will be announced by August 15, 2020.
This is a partially funded USATF team and there is potentially a small stipend from the WMRA for travel. Accommodations and meals, as well as transfers to/from the Manchester airport are covered by the local organizing committee. Uniforms are provided by USATF. If an athlete makes the team but can’t make the trip due to injury or any other circumstance, the uniform must be returned to USATF.
Expected program for the 2020 International Youth Cup:
- Wednesday, 14 October – Countries outside Europe including the USA arrive in Ambleside.
- Thursday, 15 October – European teams arrive in Ambleside.
- Friday, 16 October – Morning course inspection. Afternoon technical meeting (for coaches), athlete parade and opening ceremony.
- Saturday, 17 October
- FRA English Junior Fell Championship races – (date TBD)
- International Youth Cup U18 Girls race – 1 PM
- International Youth Cup U18 Boys race – 1:45 PM
- Medal Ceremony, Parish Centre and closing ceremony
- Evening lake cruise for all athletes
- Sunday, 18 October – All teams depart Ambleside.
Do you want to know what it’s like to represent the USA at the WMRA International U18 Mountain Running Cup? Check out the story from last years team who raced in Susa, Italy – “USATF Youth Mountain Runners Race Through History in Susa Italy.”
You can find results from all previous editions of the International U18 Mountain Running Cup on the WMRA website.