For the 2019 NACAC Mountain Running Championship, the following Team USATF selection criteria has been approved by USATF’s Mountain Ultra Trail executive committee on July 12, 2019.
The 16th annual North American, Central American & Caribbean (NACAC) Mountain Running Championships will be held in Tepatitlan, Jalisco, Mexico, on Sunday, October 20, 2019. The course will be on an up/down-style course and be approximately 11km. The USA Team Leader will be Jason Bryant.
The goal of this team selection criteria is to reward top performances by US athletes at the 2018 World Mountain Running Championships (WMRC), the 2018 NACAC Mountain Running Championships and to provide development opportunities for elite juniors and open athletes in international competition. Results at National High School Trail Running Championships will also be strongly considered for a spot on the team.
National team uniforms will be provided by USA Track & Field. (If an athlete qualifies for the team but can’t make the trip due to injury or any other circumstance, the uniform must be returned to USATF). There is currently no funding for this team. Team members must be current USATF members and have a valid U.S. passport.
2019 selection criteria:
- A Standard: US athletes at the 2018 WMRC in order of finish. (4 men/4 women)
- B Standard: Standard: 5th and 6th place athletes at 2018 USATF Mountain Running Championships. (2 men/2 women)
- C Standard: Top 2 US junior athletes at the 2018 WMRC. (2 men/2 women)
- D Standard: Top US athlete at the 2019 National High School Trail Running Championships on July 27, 2019 (1 man/1 woman). Must be at least 16 years of age in the year of competition
- E Standard: Athlete selection by resume submission. If the selection committee is unable to fill all the team spots with the preceding standards, it will accept athlete resumes for consideration. Send to [email protected] and [email protected]. **
This criteria creates a pool of 9 men and 9 women to fill a team of up to 4 men and 4 women. To fill team spots the selection committee will go down the list of athletes in performance and criteria order until all spots are filled. The 2019 team will be announced by September 1, 2019.
** This selection criteria was updated on August 14, 2019 to include the E Standard.