Spartan Trail World Championship events in Europe and the Americas for both Trail and Trail Ultra categories will be held for the inaugural season, split in different formats and with over $140,000 total purse. A virtual race option will be available at all events.
After a hiatus forced by the coronavirus pandemic, the inaugural season of the Spartan Trail World Championship is relaunched and renewed, adapting to the new reality faced all around the world. In a collective effort with our halo event organizers, we are ready to be back enjoying trails and mountains with the appropriate safety measures to ensure runners’ health.
Race formats include:
- Original format: Live (physical) event hosted as originally scheduled (or rescheduled).
- Elite Heats: Trail and Trail Ultra elite only races with prize money. Requires qualification for entry.
- Open Heats: Non-competitive (for prize money or Spartan Trail World Championship Points) marked courses for multiple distances open over multiple days. Races are timed and each event will decide its own prizes and awards.
- Virtual Event: An interactive virtual race experience that brings the race to you.
The relaunch calendar of the Spartan Trail World Championship, including available formats, includes:
- June 27 – Lavaredo Ultra Trail – Cortina D’Ampezzo (Italy). Virtual Event only. Trail: 48 km.
- August 1 – Fjallmaraton – Aré (Sweden). Open Heats, Elite Heats, Virtual Event. Trail Ultra: 100 km & Trail: 43 km. $22,800 USD total prize purse.
- September 12 – Kodiak Big Bear – Big Bear, California (United States). Open Heats, Elite Heats, Virtual Event. Trail Ultra: 100 Miles & Trail: Half Marathon. $22,800 USD total prize purse.
- November 13 – La Ruta Trail – (Costa Rica). Virtual Event only. Trail Ultra: 100k & Trail: Half Marathon.
- November 27 – Patagonia Run – San Martín de los Andes (Argentina). Open Heats, Elite Heats, Virtual Event. Trail Ultra: 100 Miles & Trail: 42 km. $22,800 USD total prize purse.
- February 28, 2021 – (FINAL) Transgrancanaria – Gran Canaria, Canary Islands (Spain). Original Format, Virtual Event. Trail Ultra: 128 km & Trail: 42 km. $22,800 USD total prize purse + an additional $30,000 USD for final leaderboard ranking prize ceremony.
In order to participate in the Spartan Trail World Championship Elite Races, interested runners will have to match the standards of qualification. This is done by request of local authorities from the countries where our events are held, where a maximum number of runners is allowed to be concentrated in a certain space. Standards, points system and prize purse can be found on the Spartan Trail FAQ Website here.
Each Spartan Trail World Championship event will have a virtual component available for participating. Except for Lavaredo Ultra Trail, all the other events will be through a platform that is currently under development, where you will be able to choose between a Trail Ultra Championship and a Trail Run Championship distance. Each virtual event will have its own challenge and prize, helping create a community and bring the race experience to you in now that traveling is complicated. These virtual events won’t participate on the physical events leaderboard ranking.
We are excited to be back on track working to bring a great and safe race experience to all our runners, as also, impulse the professionalism of the sport with interesting prize purses through both Trail and Trail Ultra categories in these harsh times we are living.
For more information and to register, visit SpartanTrail.com.
With more than 250 events across more than 40 countries on six continents, Spartan is the world’s largest obstacle course race (OCR) and endurance brand. Providing transformation through sport, Spartan attracts more than one million annual participants across all fitness levels, from beginners to elite. More than five million participants have finished Spartan events, creating a lifestyle that extends beyond races including health and wellness products, training and nutrition programs, and popular media content, which has made OCR one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Spartan events feature races at various distances, Stadion and Sprint: 5k and 20 Obstacles; Super: 10k and 25 Obstacles; Beast: half marathon and 30 Obstacles; and Ultra: 50k and 60 obstacles. Visit spartan.com for more information and registration.
Press release from American Trail Running Association member Spartan Trail. Photo top of page (Kodiak) by Howie Stern.