The American Trail Running Association (ATRA) and One World Trekking announce an essay contest which, for the chosen writer, will result in a free entry to the 2016 Tenzing-Hillary Everest Marathon to be held on May 29, at the base of Mount Everest, and includes not only the race, but the trek to and from the race start. The itinerary runs May 15-June 3, 2016. What about this contest do entrants need to know?
- Must be a current ATRA member – contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unsure about your membership status. To join ATRA, visit our membership page.
- Must be at least 21 years of age to participate in the contest.
- The essay – in up to 500 words, let us know why you should be selected for this opportunity and/or what this opportunity will mean to you.
- Contact info – include with your submission your name, age, contact info, number of years running on trails, and short bio about yourself (this won’t count as part of your 500- word essay).
- Deadlines – May 1, 2015 is the deadline to submit your essay, but submit anytime from now until May 1, 2015. Winner will be notified on May 29, 2015 – the date of this year’s race.
- Submission details – send your essay (text or word file) including contact info listed in item #4 above to: email@example.com. Please use subject line: Everest Contest. A panel of up to 4 judges representing ATRA and One World Trekking will review the submissions and select the winner.
Additional details – read on to learn what the trip – valued at $2700.00 in US Dollars – includes. How exciting is this opportunity? From Andy Crisconi, One World Trekking, an accomplished athlete and outdoorsman who has run the race in the past and has hiked it, more times than he cares to admit:
“The Tenzing-Hillary Everest Marathon isn’t just another trail running race. It’s a journey and trip of a lifetime. How many trail races in the world first require you to hike for 12 days between 9,000 and 17,500 feet before the race even begins? In addition to the local Nepalese speedsters, we have entrants from all over the world participating. Some running, hiking and walking, but everyone wanting to experience what is probably the most adventurous trail run in the world. With a starting line at the foot of Mount Everest, what else could it be!”
Inclusions to trip package:
- 20 Days/19 Nights in Nepal: May 15 to June 3, 2016
- 4 nights hotels in Kathmandu on sharing basis with breakfast
- Half-day guided sightseeing tour around Kathmandu
- 13 nights in local mountain lodges and 2 nights of tented camping at Everest Base Camp)
- All three main meals while on trek
- 14 days of MODERATE trekking and 1 day of marathon racing
- Entry into the Tenzing-Hillary Everest Marathon with full race support & T-shirt
- Domestic Fixed Wing Round-trip flights Kathmandu-Lukla-Kathmandu
- Optional hike up Kala Pattar at 18,200 feet
- Airport transfers in Kathmandu and group transportation involved with the itinerary
- Everest National Park trekking permits and entrance fees
- Group celebration dinner in Kathmandu on June 2nd
- Everest Marathon duffle bag
Exclusions to trip package:
- Flights to and from Kathmandu
- Nepal visa fee ($40) good for a 30-day visit and available upon arrival
- Lunches and dinners while in Kathmandu
- Travel insurance policy to include coverage for medical and evacuation expenses
- All expenses of a personal nature such as: tips for Nepali Trekking staff, bottled water, other drinks and snacks while in Kathmandu and on trek, internet, telephone, laundry, souvenir shopping, etc…
- Cost of single hotel rooms in Kathmandu and single lodge rooms while on trek. A single supplement is available for $325.00. • Any expenses associated with arriving into Nepal before May 15th or staying on after June 3rd and any travel expenses while en route to Nepal.
- Expenses related to flying in / out of Lukla by helicopter in the case of bad weather (Approx. $500 per person each way)
The winner will be announced on May 29, 2015 (2015 race date). Reservations for your trip MUST be made through One World Trekking. The winner will be required to sign a liability waiver. Contest entry deadline is: May 1, 2015.
Since 1988, One World Trekking has been organizing and guiding adventures throughout the great Himalayan ranges and beyond. Along with our Nepal-based partner Himalaya Expeditions and the American Trail Running Association, we are very excited to give one lucky trail runner the chance to win participation in the 2016 Tenzing-Hillary Everest Marathon. As the premiere event in our ‘Great Himalaya Marathons’ series, the Everest Marathon is the highest in the world, taking place annually on May 29 to celebrate the first successful ascent of Mount Everest.
One World Trekking: www.OneWorldTrekking.com
Great Himalaya Marathons: www.GreatHimalayaMarathons.com
Andy Crisconi: firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-970-945-2601
Ted Mahon: email@example.com