Two days, two individual gold medals AND two team gold medals……and the U.S. team was just getting started.
On the first day of the inaugural World Mountain & Trail Running Championship in Chiang Mai, Thailand, Allie McLaughlin won Friday’s Uphill Mountain Running race leading the U.S. women to a team gold medal.
On Saturday, Adam Peterman won the 80K Trail race leading the U.S. men to a another team gold. In Saturday’s 40K Trail race the U.S. women’s team, led by Kimber Mattox 7th place finish, snatched a silver medal.
On Sunday the medal set was complete when newly minted world champion Allie McLaughlin brought even more mountain running fire in the up/down mountain race finishing 3rd and leading the U.S. women to a team bronze.
Gold, Silver, Bronze – achievements unlocked!
Thirty seven U.S. athletes made up the largest ever mountain/trail team ever assembled for a world championship and over the course of three days and five races, every single one of them finished. No DNFs! A mighty accomplishment considering the hot and humid conditions, brutally steep and hilly courses spread across heavily forested mountains on the edge of Chiang Mai.
Here is a summary of individual and team results for all the U.S. runners:
The Uphill Mountain Running race was 8.5 km in length with 1,065 meters of elevation gain.
Uphill Mountain Men
- USA 4th place team (Joseph Gray 6th, Cameron Smith 20th, Daniel Curts 24th)
Uphill Mountain Women
- Podium – Allie McLaughlin GOLD (World Champion!)
- USA 1st place team (Allie McLaughlin 1st, Lauren Gregory 12th, Rachel Tomajczyk 26th)
The Long Trail Running race was 78 km in length with 4,807 meters of elevation gain.
80K Long Trail Men
- Podium – Adam Peterman GOLD (World Champion!)
- USA 1st place team (Adam Peterman 1st, Eric LiPuma 7th, Jeff Colt 14th, Adam Merry 53rd)
80K Long Trail Women
- USA 5th place team (Leah Yingling 19th, Kaytlyn Gerbin 24th, Brittany Charboneau 27th, Addie Bracy 38th)
The Short Trail Running race was 38 km in length with 2,425 meters of elevation gain.
40K Short Trail Men
- USA 6th place team (Max King 4th, Noah Williams 22nd, Zach Miller 23rd, Joseph Demoor 39th, Jonathan Aziz 40th)
40K Short Trail Women
- USA 2nd place team (Kimber Mattox 7th, Ashley Brasovan 11th, Stevie Kremer 13th, Kristina Mascarenas 25th, Michelle Merlis 57th)
The Up/Down Mountain Running race was 10.7 km in length with 475 meters of elevation gain.
Up/Down Mountain Men
- USA 9th place team (Daniel Curts 16th, Andy Wacker 37th, Mason Coppi 39th, Morgan Elliott 42nd)
Up/Down Mountain Women
- Podium – Allie McLaughlin BRONZE
- USA 3rd place team (Allie McLaughlin 3rd, Rachel Tomajczyk 19th, Corey Dowe 23rd, Samatha Lewis 40th)
The junior (U20) Up/Down Mountain Running race was 6 km in length with 225 meters of elevation gain.
Junior Up/Down Mountain Men
- USA 7th place team (Michael Maiorano 7th, Christian Groendyk 25th, Ignatius Fitzgerald 27th, Dalton Kaines 30th)
Junior Up/Down Mountain Women
- USA 4th place team (Oakley Olson 5th, Samatha Blair 13th, Willow Lott 20th)
Photos, Videos & Results
For even more photos of the U.S. team during the entire long event weekend check out these images and videos on Google photos.
Complete results at posted at: https://my.raceresult.com/225074/
LIVESTREAM replay links:
Friday – Uphill Mountain: https://youtu.be/SbhwqvvPaLU
Saturday – Trail races part 1: https://youtu.be/00rnc8Uk9P4
Saturday – Trail races part 2: https://youtu.be/D5xWRDi8iJc
Saturday – Trail races part 3: https://youtu.be/BaZLRFhy7pE
Sunday – Up/Down Mountain: https://youtu.be/7AhEFm7AR9s
The World Mountain and Trail Running Championship event organizers have also uploaded a ton of high quality photos. These pages are searchable by bib number.
Additional Media Coverage
November 4, 2022 – Joe DeMoor Runs to New Heights – Outside Magazine
November 4, 2022 – ‘Allie Mac’ Wins World Championship, Leads Team USA to Gold – Outside Magazine
November 7, 2022 – Adam Peterman, U.S. Men Win Gold in World Championships 80km, Women Win Silver in 40k – Outside Magazine
November 8, 2022 – Alumni in Action: Blair places 13th at inaugural World Mountain and Trail Running Championships – Vail Daily
November 9, 2022 – Team USATF shines at world running championships – Sopris Sun
November 10, 2022 – Lott represents USA at world mountain running championships – Durango Herald
November 11, 2022 – Peterman’s Long Trail Gold Earns Him USATF Athlete of the Week Honors – USA Track & Field
November 16, 2022 – Interview with U.S. Men’s Gold Medal 80K Trail Team – Singletrack Podcast with Finn Melanson