Written by USATF Championship liaison and U.S. 100K National Team Leader Lin Gentling.
It is with great pleasure that we announce the 2022 100K National Team. This official USA Track & Field (USATF) Team will compete in the 2022 International Association of Ultrarunners (IAU) 100 Kilometer World Championships under the patronage of World Athletics on August 27, 2022, in Berlin/Bernau, Germany.
The biennial 100 Kilometer World Championship race is the one international event at which USATF has fielded highly competitive ultra-distance teams and world champions over the past two decades. Ann Trason won this prestigious championship in 1988 and 1995, followed by Kami Semick (2009), Amy Sproston (2012) and Camille Herron (2015). On the men’s side Max King won this championship in 2014 when it was held in Doha.
Representing the United States at the IAU 100 kilometer World Championship this year will be six men and six women ultramarathon runners. The team and alternates was selected by the Executive Committee of the USATF Mountain, Ultra, and Trail Running Council, which was established in 1998 to help USATF administer ultra running in the United States.
The 2022 US 100K Team
- Sarah Cummings, 33, Park City, UT
- Kalie Demerjian, 25, Trabuco Canyon, CA
- Anna Kacius, 29, San Francisco, CA
- Nicole Monette, 36, Oxford, MI
- Elizabeth Northern, 35, Fort Worth, TX
- Courtney Olsen, 34, Bellingham, WA
- Zack Beavins, 27, Brookline, MA
- Kris Brown, 33, Missoula, MT
- Geoff Burns, 32, Colorado Springs, CO
- Craig Hunt, 32, Flagstaff, AZ
- Eric LiPuma, 29, Richmond, VT
- Rajpaul Pannu, 31, Denver, CO
- Lin Gentling, Rochester, MN – Team Leader
- Timo Yanacheck, Madison, WI – Assistance Team Leader
- Dr. Lion Caldwell, Albuquerque, NM – Medical
A more complete article will follow shortly including photos, short bios, and quotes. Complicating team selection for 2022 was the number of very high quality and visible world events that are being held on the same day as the 100K World Championship, including the Comrades Marathon and Ultra-Trail Du Mont Blanc (UTMB).
Selection criteria for the 2022 U.S. 100K National Team was published on April 29, 2021 and can be found on this webpage. Learn more about USATF Mountain, Ultra and Trail teams and championships on this dedicated webpage hosted by the American Trail Running Association.