Information from the World Mountain Running Association.
This is the 12th edition of the WMRA International Mountain Running Youth Cup. This year’s course is an up/down hill circuit. Estimated distance is between 4.5 and 5.5 kilometers.
Venue: Gagliano del Capo, Italy
Date: Saturday, June 24, 2017
Trip Duration: Typically travel from the USA departing Wednesday, June 21 to arrive on June 22. Course preview on June 22-23, race on June 24, depart on June 25.
For team consideration, the junior athlete:
- Must be a current USA Track & Field (USATF) member (for 2017)
- Must be at least 16 and not yet 18 in the year of competition.
- Must have posted a 16:45 or better (junior boys) and 19:30 or better (junior girls) in a 5km road or cross country event. (Equivalent times – from an alternate race distance that translates to the aforementioned time criteria – will be considered for distances other than 5km.)
- Must have experience running (in training and preferably racing) on courses similar to the event.
- Must be mature, motivated, with a positive attitude to proudly represent the United States and sponsors internationally, under the rules of USATF and the event governing bodies.
- A letter of recommendation from a coach, parent, or mentor-runner must accompany the athlete resume.
- The team will be comprised of up to (6) members, 3 junior girls and 3 junior boys
Resumes (including road, trail, track, and cross country results and current training info) will be accepted through April 1. Send resume and recommendation to: Nancy Hobbs, email@example.com. Team will be announced by April 15, 2017. This is an unfunded team although there is a small stipend from the WMRA for travel. Accommodations and meals, as well as transfers to/from the airport are covered by the local organizing committee. Uniforms are provided by USATF. (If an athlete makes the team but can’t make the trip due to injury or any other circumstance, the uniform must be returned to USATF).