Written by Nancy Hobbs
The World Long Distance Mountain Running Championships is regulated by the World Mountain Running Association (WMRA) under the patronage of the IAAF. The U.S. Long Distance Mountain Running Team consists of 5 women and 5 men the top 3 men and top 3 women (cumulative times from the top three runners) score for the team. Selection criteria is determined by the USATF Mountain Ultra Trail Executive Committee.
Team Selection Procedures for 2016
1) Any U.S. athlete who finished in the top 3 places at the Zermatt Marathon (the 2015 WMRA Long Distance Mountain Running Championships), receives an automatic berth; and/or the top U.S. male and top U.S. female at Zermatt Marathon to receive an automatic spot. 2016 automatic selectees are Andy Wacker (2nd place & top US) and Stevie Kremer (4th place & top US).
2*) Selection Races in 2015 – The top 2 U.S. male and top U.S. female finishers at:
A) September 6 – Rut 50k – Big Sky Resort, Montana – (Skyrunning) – http://runtherut.com (Athletes qualifying for the team are Matt Shryock, Anchorage, AK, 3rd overall, 1st USA, 5:29:00, Edward Farley, Bozeman, MT, 5th overall, 2nd USA, 5:39:35, Hillary Allen, Golden, CO 2nd overall, 1st USA, 6:30:15, Kristina Pattison, Missoula, MT, 4th overall, 2nd USA, 6:44:54 – results here)
B) November 7 – Moab Trail Marathon – Moab, UT – (US Marathon Trail Championships) – www.moabtrailmarathon.com (Athletes qualifying for the team are 1st place, Mario Mendoza, Bend, OR, 3:04:08; 2nd place, Joe Gray, Colorado Springs, CO, 3:08:57; 1st place, Megan Kimmel, Silverton, CO, 3:27:53; 2nd place, Stevie Kremer, Crested Butte, CO, 3:38:09)
* Following the World Long Distance Championships on July 4, 2015, depending on the number of athletes earning automatic berths, the criteria 2A and 2B may change to include additional auto spots.
3) Remaining team members will be selected based on resume – consideration given to a top15 placing at 2015 World Long Distance Mountain Running Championship at Zermatt Marathon on July 4, 2015, top finish position at international mountain races, national championship, and other nationally recognized mountain races including specified selection races. The selection will include percentage of candidate’s finish time relative to that of the first finisher in the various events listed on resume(s).
4) Athletes named to the team must be U.S. citizens and have a current USATF membership.
5) Team uniforms from USATF for 2016 are confirmed. Mountain team members will receive partial funding from USA Track & Field (exact amount TBA).
For remaining spots on the team (there may be additional spots available should one of the auto-selected athletes not accept their spot), running resumes should be sent to Nancy Hobbs, email@example.com, with cc to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Running resumes must be received by March 15, 2016. Current auto select athletes must confirm their spot not later than March 1, 2016.
Team Announced: by April 1, 2016.
The 2016 WMRA World Long Distance Mountain Running Championships will be hosted in Prdbrdo, Slovenia at the 15th Gorski Marathon (42km) on June 18. http://www.gm4o.si/en/course-2015.html
The first World Long Distance Mountain Challenge was held at Sierre-Zinal in Switzerland in 2004. The first team competition took place in 2009 in Austria. The U.S. Women have won the team title three times and the individual title three times. The U.S. Men have two gold and one silver team medal, along with three individual titles.
2016 World Long Distance Mountain Running Championships – U.S. Team Qualification